by Eric Gouda and Derek Butcher, updated: 2022-06-29 15:24:20This list (Version 4: January 2022) is based on the database used for the 'Encyclopaedia of Bromeliads' and is updated on a daily basis. It should be referenced to as follows:
The first continuously updated version was mainly maintained by Derek Butcher and was based on detail from the various Binomial lists issued by Selby Gardens, Smith & Downs, Mez 1935, Baker 1889 and other monographs. Therefore when dealing with old names (synonyms) you had to follow a chain of events to reach the current accepted name.
- Gouda, E.J. & Butcher, D. (cont.updated) The New Bromeliad Taxon List, version 4. [https://bromeliad.nl/taxonlist/]. University Botanic Gardens, Utrecht (accessed: 29-06-2022).
The Encyclopaedia of Bromelads is based on the original names with adjustments made for each record as changes of synonymy etc occurred. A list was automatically produced from such data after 2016. Over recent years these two lists were checked and many adjustments made.
Clearly an automatically produced list is better than a manually updated one and it was decided that the time had come for a switch and renew the Taxon List and make some improvements (Oct. 2016). for example Authors are always listed. Another advantage is that referring to an old name brings you to its current name without following the chain.
Features in version 4:
If you need a printed list of the accepted names only, you can access: A List of Accepted Bromeliaceae Names, which is formatted for printing on Letter size paper.
- The initial list is the Genus list, with synonym names in Gray color (including authors)
- Because of the tree structure the list is much faster than former version
- To view the species the Genus name must be clicked on
- Long species lists are preceeded with an - A - B - C - index, to jump to the first species starting with that letter
- If a taxon is a synonym the correct name is given (=> in green) and if you click on it, you will go to the correct taxon in the list
Questions and or suggestions can be send to Eric Gouda