Encyclopaedia of Bromeliads
How to buy or subscribeEncyclopaedia of Bromeliads CD/DVD
ISBN / EAN 9789081770811
October 2005 the first version of this Bromeliad CD project was presented, combining as much information and photos as possible about all existing Bromeliad species and names.
We did realize that this was a monster project and we can not do it on our own. Especially we need picture donors to get most of the species illustrated.
The project started with a collaboration of three BCG members: Eric Gouda, Hugo Claessen and Kees Gouda. For literature references Leo Dijkgraaf has been asked to share his effords in his search for Bromeliad literature and he was willing to do so. Soon Derek Butcher joined to work on the huge task to get the plant description data ready to be included. After four years (October 2009) a fully redesigned version 2 was introduced, that looked much nicer and had much more photographs. After an other 3 years (October 2012) we introduced version 3 (no longer available).
Current version 4, due to several reasons, is initiated 3 years late, March 2018, and is not yet available on CD/DVD. An inventory will follow to check the interest for it. We have many online Members already and we hope that most of the people who bought the CD/DVD-v3, and had online access too, will become an online member now. Information will follow on our Facebook account.
What is new in version 4
- More images are possible to be shown. There is one image TAB now which will show thumbnails of all images available (Mar. 2018)
- References (link) to Tropicos, link will result in a search in the Tropicos database (including synonym names) (Jan. 2018)
- The image quality has been improved to show more detail especially in difficult contrast situations (Jan. 2018)
- Taxon references has been moved to its own TAB, so that more space is available for additional images at the bottom of the screen. There is one Pictures TAB and each image can be shown separately in larger size. (Aug. 2017)
- Orthographic errors are added to the main Taxon information screen (July 2017)
- Direct/permanent links to Taxon information has been added tot the website http://bromeliad.nl/species/Genus/species (July 2017)
- Literature List is given by Subject and within the subject 'New Taxa' listed by Genus (June 2017)
- Subgenus (classification) has been added to the Taxon pages (placed between parenthesis below the name). Taxon pages for the subgenera will be added soon, including a list of species belonging to it.
- Online version can be called with a ?find= option to access a taxon page directly from an external call
- Description Tab is linking back to the Literature page, from which it was edited and diagnose is added.
- The Literature Reference pages are extended with a linked list of Taxa (species) published in that publication, (including page numbers) and you can access each of them right away from that list with one click.
- In the Introduction menu the entry 'Species counts' is added to show the current state of species numbers known/recognized per Genus including infra specific counts.
- In the Features menu two entries 'New in [year]' are added to show the newly described species and varieties in the last two years.
- Larger Species indices will be preceded with a jump start ( a - b - c - etc.)
- In the Literature references, FCBS (Web) was listed, but in the new version you can click to open the image page at FCBS to see the pictures of that species right away.
- Taxonomic notes added to are added to the main and synonym records, to clarify Taxonomic changes.
- Parentage of Natural hybrids are added in the main screen as well as the status (if needed).
- At Login, the possibility to send the password by email has been added
- The Literature section has been revised and shows literature references by subject now.
- Of course all new described species are included and many new images are added.
You can become a registered member/donor of the project for € 10 a year and you will have full online access. If the CD/DVD becomes available, you will get this € 10 discount if you will buy it within a year.
Become a registered member/donor (€ 10) and get online access for a year
Bromeliad Contact Group
Dutch / Belgian Bromeliad Society
Botanical Gardens Utrecht
Contact: Eric Gouda
ING BANK (Utrecht)