Encyclopaedia of Bromeliads
How to buy or subscribeEncyclopaedia of Bromeliads CD/DVD (ver. 1-3)
ISBN / EAN 9789081770811
October 2005 the first version of this Bromeliad CD project was presented, combining as much information and photos as possible about all existing Bromeliad species and names.
We did realize that this was a monster project and we can not do it on our own. Especially we need picture donors to get most of the species illustrated.
The project started with a collaboration of three BCG members: Eric Gouda, Hugo Claessen and Kees Gouda. For literature references Leo Dijkgraaf has been asked to share his effords in his search for Bromeliad literature and he was willing to do so. Soon Derek Butcher joined to work on the huge task to get the plant description data ready to be included. After four years (October 2009) a fully redesigned version 2 was introduced, that looked much nicer and had much more photographs. After an other 3 years (October 2012) we introduced version 3 also on CD/DVD (not longer available).
Version 4 was initiated 3 years late, in March 2018, and due to several reasons was not available on CD/DVD, and it is not clear if any of the following versions will be. Current version 5 is initiated January 2022. We have many online Members already and we hope that most of the people who bought the CD/DVD, will become an online member now. Please follow our activities on Facebook, see the link below the menu on the left.
What is new in version 5
- Image view in full size added (Jan. 2023)
- Plates of flower dissections by Ingeborg Niesler added (Jan. 2023)
- When a species index is longer than 60 names, a list of starting characters (eg. b - e - f - etc.) is given to jump directly to the first name (Dec, 2022)
- Taxonomy has been added to the main menu, which gives an hierarchical overview of the family (Sept. 2022)
- Literature list on category has been improved, sorted now by major content. From the Literature list a keyword search can be done (Mar. 2022)
- Habitat pictures are available now (camera in habitat text section). (Jan. 2022)
- New literature added recently can be found in the Literature option from the main menu. (Dec. 2021)
- Information about higher Taxa (above species and genus rank) is included now. It is not in the species index, but you can search for example for "Tillandsiae" or "Tillandsioideae" and you will get publication information about that Taxon and a list of included Taxa of the rank below. Also in the Genus information screen, all subgenera are listed. (Oct. 2021)
- Information on Literature pages is extended, especially for books and separate publications, size, illustrations and number of pages are added as well as an image of the front cover (Sept. 2021)
- Description is extended with an Protologue [Pr] icon button if an image of the protologue (original description) is available (Sept. 2021)
- Etymology and Phenology are added on the main page below Distribution & Habitat. (July 2021)
- Descriptions are more uniform now, with default headers: Plant, Inflorescence, Flower, Stamens, Pistil and Fruit. these headings are in bold small caps, followed by subheadings that are just bold (May 2018)
- The Description is extended with two icons, one for a comparison with closely related species and an other for showing a comparing table if available (May 2018)
You can become a registered member/donor of the project for € 10 a year and you will have full online access. If the CD/DVD becomes available, you will get this € 10 discount if you will buy it within a year. For 5 year subscription (1 year free) contact me on the address below.
Become a registered member/donor (€ 10) and get online access for a year
Bromeliad Contact Group
Dutch / Belgian Bromeliad Society
Botanical Gardens Utrecht
Contact: Eric Gouda
ING BANK (Utrecht)