Encyclopaedia of Bromeliads
This version is released March 2018 and is 3 years late (it is meant to release a new version every 3 years). Below you can see the list of changes and additions between verion 3 and 4, which is a long list. This version is not yet available on CD/DVD, but is planned to be produced during this year if enough people want to order it. You can become a member to the project, and update to this version for one year online access, see How to buy last version or full online access.
The first initiative was developed by 3 members of the Bromelia Contact Group, but soon the project was widened to an international collaboration. The on line version is updated continuously and new species are normally added within a week from publication (depending on the language). Major versions are also published on CD, like version 1, 2 and 3.
Development in the presentation of the data available online and on the CD are listed below for each version. We try to publish a major version, every 3 years, so version 4 is scheduled for 2015.
The species count is a very dynamic data set and a result of following the literature in a critical way (following or not following new synonymy or resurrection of names, depending on argumentation). It is possible that there may be a slight discrepancy between these numbers and those provided in the New Bromeliad Taxon List
We hope you enjoy this source of information and ask you to support the project by becoming a registered member and/or buying the CD/DVD version. You find information below the the menu at the left. Some numeric information can be found in Status Information
Version 4.1 (not released yet)
- Descriptions are more uniform now, with default headers: Plant, Inflorescence, Flower, Stamens, Pistil and Fruit. these headings are in bold small caps, followed by subheadings that are just bold (May 2018)
- The Description is extended with two icons, one for a comparison with closely related species and an other for showing a comparing table if available (May 2018)
Version 4 (March 2018)
- More images are possible to be shown. There is one image TAB now which will show thumbnails of all images available (Mar. 2018)
- References (link) to Tropicos, link will result in a search in the Tropicos database (including synonym names) (Jan. 2018)
- The image quality has been improved to show more detail especially in difficult contrast situations (Jan. 2018)
- Taxon references has been moved to its own TAB, so that more space is available for additional images at the bottom of the screen. There is one Pictures TAB and each image can be shown separately in larger size. (Aug. 2017)
- Orthographic errors are added to the main Taxon information screen (July 2017)
- Direct/permanent links to Taxon information has been added tot the website http://bromeliad.nl/species/Genus/species (July 2017)
- Literature List is given by Subject and within the subject 'New Taxa' listed by Genus (June 2017)
- Subgenus (classification) has been added to the Taxon pages (placed between parenthesis below the name). Taxon pages for the subgenera will be added soon, including a list of species belonging to it.
- Online version can be called with a ?find= option to access a taxon page directly from an external call
- Description Tab is linking back to the Literature page, from which it was edited and diagnose is added.
- The Literature Reference pages are extended with a linked list of Taxa (species) published in that publication, (including page numbers) and you can access each of them right away from that list with one click.
- In the Introduction menu the entry 'Species counts' is added to show the current state of species numbers known/recognized per Genus including infra specific counts.
- In the Features menu two entries 'New in [year]' are added to show the newly described species and varieties in the last two years.
- Larger Species indices will be preceded with a jump start ( a - b - c - etc.)
- In the Literature references, FCBS (Web) was listed, but in the new version you can click to open the image page at FCBS to see the pictures of that species right away.
- Taxonomic notes added to are added to the main and synonym records, to clarify Taxonomic changes.
- Parentage of Natural hybrids are added in the main screen as well as the status (if needed).
- At Login, the possibility to send the password by email has been added
- The Literature section has been revised and shows literature references by subject now.
- Of course all new described species are included and many new images are added.
Version 3 (October 2012)
A problem in former version was that for some species there was little information available and for others too much to show on one screen (which must fit on old screens with 1024 x 768 pixels). The solution in this version(3) is that TABS are added when more information is available. Much more valuable information has been added, e g.:
- Full Descriptions are given on a separate Tab including its source.
- Synonym names with its information (publication, type etc.) is given on a separate Tab, and accessible directly from the index.
- There are separate Tabs for picture information (including larger pictures), for both the one in portraid(X) and the additional pictures in landscape(Y). Much information about origin (country etc.) of the plants on the pictures has been added
- If an Old Chromolithograph image, for example from Belgique Hort. is available, it will show up in a separate Tab too.
- The online version is updated on a daily basis and can be accessed with a login if your IP address is not fixed.
Version 2 (October 2009)
This is a totally renewed version of the Encyclopedia, including much more photographs, data and a better interface. A lot has been changed since the first release, see also acknowledgment.
Indexes keeps always in sight in the left screen part, which makes it much easier to navigate. A new feature is to view all miniature images of all pictures included for a Genus, directly from the index, for a quick identification. For this, you can click on the next to a Genus name in the index. A literature index has been included, both presented by author and by title. There is a separate index to all species and varieties included with images. Check lists (indexes) of species by country are included and will be updated all the time.
If you access species information, you can easily go to next or previously related species, using the arrows at the taxon number in upper left corner.
Version 1 (October 2005)
Several years ago the idea was born to start a Bromeliad CD project, combining as much information as possible about all existing Bromeliad species and names. It had to include all Bromeliad names, correct ones as well as synonyms, publication information, other literature references, distribution & habitat information and even more important loads of pictures.Eric J. Gouda
We did realize that this was a monster project and we can not do it on our own. Especially we need picture donors to get most of the species illustrated. Also data collecting and maintenance is a huge project and in the end we would like to add descriptions and keys too.
The project started with a collaboration of three persons: Hugo Claessen, Kees and Eric Gouda. For literature references Leo Dijkgraaf has been asked to share his affords in his search for Bromeliad literature and he was willing to do so.
This first version is a nice begin, but far from complete and we seek for collaboration with other Bromeliad enthusiasts and picture donors.